Swipe

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swipe Iphone Game Development Forum

3 posters

Music Sample

Twisted-Liquid

Music Sample Empty Music Sample

Post  Twisted-Liquid Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:17 am

How is the music coming along can we have a sample of the music for the game? Have we started to build any sound effects?
    Michael pw

Music Sample Empty Re: Music Sample

Post  Michael pw Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm

He told me he would have something up by this saturday.
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:32 pm

ooh nice i cant wait to here something
    mike_aych

Music Sample Empty Tuorial Music & Char Speed up/Slow Down SFX

Post  mike_aych Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:52 am

Hey guys,

I have just now uploaded a new version of the tuorial music to the 'Swipe Stage 01 Music' called 'Tuorial Music a0.mp3' and two sound effects to the 'Swipe Sound Effects' folder called 'Char-Slow Down a0.mp3' and 'Char-Speed Up a0.mp3'

A way to save on memory and increase the quality of the music is to compose one piece of music for each type of stage. So if there are 'x' different types of stage, (european city, american city, easy stage, boss stage, etc) then you would only need 'x' files of music, as oppose to twenty files of music. This method could be applied to the power-ups also. Considering the size of Tutorial Music a0.mp3, (which is only two repeated sections,) is still just under a mega bite, I would strongly consider this option!

Let me know what you guys think. I can edit and change everything I upload so don't worry about suggesting radical changes!

Mike
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:02 am

those SFX are beefing!

that new soundtrack also sounds really good!!
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:47 pm

The quality is superb and I fancy the music for the tutorial to get the players started. For the remaning levels i would like to hear a bit more gothic like a darker feel to it. here is an example I pulled up with different pices mixed together but this is the kind of music we need. that is some excellent composing, im floored!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFFr0Wuboc

as for the sound effect it may be too high pitched for the speed up and down as they are going to hear it 100 times each stage. I think it should be more suddle I guess an airplane sound as i mentioned before is a lot more high pitched than i thought srry abot that just try and get a very melow sound, im abviously terrible at describing it im sure you could use your best judgment just keep in mind that this sound is gonna be played a whole lot and we dont what to aggravate the players. the sounds should feel seemless to the gameplay. Can't wait to hear more. cheers
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Holy crap I didnt notice the second part of the a0.mp3 thats exactly what we need if you can take out two of the loops at the begining and extend the end a bit that would be perfect!!

is possible to get one that runs about 2 minutes.
    mike_aych

Post  mike_aych Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:18 am

I could make it last 2 minutes but I'd be concerned about how much memory a file that length would use up. It's nearly a mega bite as it is. Would a 2 minute file not be too big?

I'll extend the second half of the Tutorial Music and sort out the speed-up and slow-down sound effects.

Mike
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks Mike I recon your right I tend to forget how small this file needs to be but i think it definately needs to be a bit longer than 30 seconds can we shoot for maybe a full minute?

can u also cut a bit off the beggining there are four loops that i think can be dropped to 2 the second half sounds so much creepier i love it.
    mike_aych

Post  mike_aych Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 am

I have uploaded new versions of the speeding up and slowing down effects called 'Char-Slow Down a1' and 'Char-Speed Up a1.' I have decreased the pitch and shortened their lengths.

I will concentrate on expanding the second half of the tutorial music. After listening to that youtube link you posted I have a better feel for what you are hoping to hear, so I will draw inspiration from that. Tomorow I'll post what I have at that point so you can have one final listen before I sort out the final version. I'm afraid I won't be able to include choirs as I can't get hold of any before Friday! But I'll definatly look into including more instrumentation that just strings and drums.

Let me know what you think of the new sound effects Very Happy

Mike
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 am

The SFX are better MPW lets give these a try in game and see how they play out.

Mike don't worry about the choris for the tutorial stage however we need to give MPW all the sources we can to complete the first 5 stages by the end of the week preferably by thursday. I still need to finish a few ramps and building elements including the glass sprites.

Please keep in mind that this is your game too, feel free to comment on the art the engine and the music/sfx too. keep up the good work, cheers
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am

oh yea and i appolgize for the lack of description on the music im not very musical but im glad you heard the video its the only way i could explain it Smile
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeh those effects and tunes are beefing, im putting them in now. As for level design i will / we will make the levels once we have the resources in case there are any alignment issues.

Btw the music in that video is epic, i reckon something like that would suite the game really well!
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:48 pm

I dropped in the character sprites too if you didnt see that,
    mike_aych

Post  mike_aych Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 am

How much music do you guys need to Thursday?
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 am

Just tutorial music
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 am

Wow a sudden load of effects!!! NICE!
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 am

The sounds are perfect my only suggestion is to make the control module beeps just a bit louder i could barly hear them and add a burst of static somewhere in between.

Man I love the way that music turned out absolutely epic. think you can whip one up for the games theme? its gonna be used in the menu screen and hopefully we can throw in some chorus when you can get a hold of some.

Im temptemted to extend the tutorial music a bit as it is going to be used for 5 stages, what do you guys recon? think someone can sit through the music for 10 minutes? I know the size is critical im a going to far?
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am

well instead of having the same tune running for 10 minutes, say we have 5 tunes in total, we use 1 and 2 interchangeably for stages 1 - 10 + tut, then we use songs 3+4 interchangeably for stages 11-20.

song 5 will be menu.

that first song is also already just under 1mb so considering the fact we might use 5, that's 5mb of space gone, that leaves little for your high quality graphics too.
    We have to make cuts in one area or another...

i think we should play around with what we have and if we have any space left over at the end, we can fill it in with other stuff.
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 am

these limitations are killing me this is quality shit!! I love it. lets go with your assessment and play it by ear. I am trying to keep the graphics as low as possibe I may also have another work around for that huge background. i'll explain in GFX topic.
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am

I have officially sat here for 10 minutes listening to the song and i can honestly say I have not gotten tired of it even without stimulating my brain with gameplay, i could go for another 10 LOL i think this will work!
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm

lol, we can try it atleast! When we make a game for Pc, it should be better as we won't have these limitations. Razz but as for now, it is crucial.
    mike_aych

Post  mike_aych Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am

It seems a post of mine is missing. No matter. I informed you guys there was new music and sound effects haha!

I'll bash out another four tunes. Its better to have too much than not enough!! You guys can always drop some tracks in favour of memory if you need to. Also, I think it would be a good idea to have music specifically for the slow-motion power up, as that means I can compose something that lasts exactly that length.

I'll make that change to the menu-control module, and whip out another tune for use as the menu screen. If you have a screen shot of the menu, or another youtube video showing what it looks like, that would be very helpful!!
    Twisted-Liquid

Post  Twisted-Liquid Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 am

Im in the process of designing the menu today, last night i had this vision where the menu items where floating figures on the control module like in the movie minority report .

I had lots of trouble finding an example check out this video about 10 seconds in they show the computer interface for a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMtUVcOHPtw

I was thinking the player could swipe the menu item like the play button into a circle drop box to initiate the command when they release inside the circle. the circle would then turn and shrink as the menu fades into the game or other menu screens. The items would appear one at a time quickly on the left side of the screen and can be draged and placed anywhere on the screen by the player. all the floating items will have a translucent skin where you could see the control module behind it at all times. the control module will look similar to the inside of a mechwarrior machine. as if inside the MPW3K. with a ruined city scape in the backdrop.

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/mechwarrior-prime/cockpit.jpg

of course all this will have to be done to the lowest specs possible.
    Michael pw

Post  Michael pw Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 am

how about the same concept, except you swipe and the view scrolls across onto another page, the drop box idea may be too confusing and could lead to glitches...

btw i can make it so if they tap it it works, but they can also slide the view.
    there WILL be an Easter egg if the person swipes upwards from the credits screen.
    lol.

it will still be a control module but i just think it'll kind of annoy the people.
    btw the Easter egg will only be accessible through a swipe and not a tap.

the easter egg menu could have a load of buttons like:

- Low gravity
    - Autorun
    - No gravity

and other bonuses. when draged into a circle, they activate, (achievements will be blocked with these on however there will be an achievement for finding the cheat menu. like this idea?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 am